Guidance Department Mission & Philosophy
Comprehensive School Guidance Plan
Boyer Valley Community School District
The mission of Boyer Valley’s school guidance program is to provide a comprehensive, developmental school guidance program that addresses the academic, career, and personal/social development of all students. The school counselor, as part of the Boyer Valley learning community, will facilitate the support system so that all students have access to the tools enabling them to become responsible and productive citizens, who can effectively manage future challenges and who can progress confidently into an ever-changing society.
The school guidance program at Boyer Valley believes:
- All students have value and are to be treated with respect.
- All students have the right to participate in the school guidance program.
- All students’ ethnic, cultural, racial, sexual differences, and special needs are considered in planning and implementing the school guidance program.
- All students K-12 shall have access to a full-time, state-certified, master’s-degree-level school guidance counselor to deliver the comprehensive school guidance program.
The Boyer Valley comprehensive school guidance counseling program will:
- Be based on goals and developmental needs for all students K-12.
- Be planned and coordinated by the school guidance counselor in coordination with the administration and the School Improvements Advisory Committee (SIAC).
- Use data to drive program development and evaluation.
- Actively involve staff members in monitoring and analyzing students’ results.
- Be evaluated by the principal on specified goals and agreed-upon competencies.
The school counselor at Boyer Valley shall:
- Abide by the professional school counseling ethics and standards as advocated by the American School Counselor Association.
- Participate in professional development activities essential to maintain a quality comprehensive school guidance program.